Permanent Residency Using Express Entry

Express Entry is a system used by the Canadian government to manage Canadian permanent residence applications for filling labor gaps through certain economic immigration programs.

It is designed to facilitate the express immigration of skilled professionals seeking to immigrate to Canada permanently.

The federal government decides if a candidate is qualified for a program run by Express Entry after the candidate uploads an online profile outlining their interest.

The Express Entry pool accepts qualified applicants, who are then ranked using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). The government uses the CRS, a points-based system, to evaluate and rank applicants in the Express Entry pool.

Points are calculated on the basis of the selection factors mentioned below:

  • Age
  • Education
  • Work experience
  • A valid job offer
  • Adaptability
  • English and/or French language skills
  • Your spouse's education, language abilities, and work experience

Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)

A vital component of an express entry is the skilled federal program, which supports those who meet the conditions in their permanent relocation to Canada.

A person must have at least one year of continuous employment, or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week), in NOC 0, A, or B over the previous ten years to be eligible for an FSW program.

Eligibility Criteria:

  • Age
  • Education
  • Work experience
  • A valid job offer
  • Adaptability
  • English and/or French language skills

Minimum requirements:

  • Must have a high school diploma or the equivalent;
  • Must have proof of funds to support their application;
  • Must intend to settle in Canada;
  • Must have at least 1 year of continuous work experience or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week) in NOC TEER categories 0,1,2, or 3 in the last 10 years;
  • Must have a minimum CLB 7 in all 4 modules of an approved English or French test;
  • Must be admissible to Canada

Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

The CEC is a component of a coordinated initiative by the federal and provincial governments of Canada to entice more foreign students and temporary workers to establish their futures in Canada.

Being young and middle-aged, having high levels of education, work experience, and education, along with developing social and professional networks in Canada, are all factors that help CEC immigrants succeed in the job market.

The most typical route for a foreign student to apply for permanent residency in Canada through the CEC is as follows:

  • Step 1: Complete your educational program at a learning institution recognized by Canada.
  • Step 2: Apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit at IRCC (PGWP)
  • Step 3: Acquire at least 1,560 hours of Canadian work experience in a NOC TEER category 0, 1, 2, or 3 jobs while using your PGWP.
  • Step 4: Pass the required Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) test in either English or French, as approved by IRCC.
  • Step 5: Enter the Express Entry pool- The IRCC will attempt to process your application for permanent residency within a minimum of six months if you are granted an invitation to apply.

Canadian Family Sponsorship

Your family member can immigrate to Canada and obtain permanent residency by being sponsored by a Canadian family. It requires you, as an individual, to commit to meeting that person's fundamental requirements and giving them financial support.

You must fulfill a number of requirements before you can sponsor a family member, including:

  • A Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
  • 18 years of age or older
  • Ability to support the sponsored person for several years

You can sponsor the following people:

  • Spouses and common-law partners
  • Dependent children
  • Parents and grandparents

Steps to apply for family sponsorship:

  • Step 1: Verify your eligibility to serve as a sponsor.
  • Step 2: Verify that the family members you want to sponsor are eligible.
  • Step 3: You must submit your application to the Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada at the federal level (IRCC). Then, you must submit your application for sponsorship along with those for your family members' permanent residency (PR) status.
  • Step 4: You must pay the application fee for family sponsorship.
  • Step 5: Send your application to the correct address. This information can be found in the sponsorship guide, which can be downloaded from the government website.

Spousal Sponsorship

Spousal sponsorship applications are processed with the utmost attention at Canadian Visa Offices as spousal sponsorship is strongly supported by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you want to apply for spousal sponsorship within Canada, your application will be handled first, and after it is accepted, your temporary status will change to permanent. Spousal sponsorship within Canada enables the sponsored person to apply for an Open-Work Permit while they are still residing in Canada.


  • Being 18 years old, a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident living in Canada
  • Proving your ability to meet your own and your partner's basic needs
  • By submitting proof of your relationship to the individual you are sponsoring, you can demonstrate its validity

Your dependent children, whether biological or adopted, can apply to become permanent residents in Canada and live with you.

To qualify for sponsorship, a child must fit the following definition of a dependent child:

  • If a child is under 22 years old, is not married, or is in a common-law relationship, they are regarded as a dependent.
  • A child who is older than 22 years old and has a physical or mental impairment that makes it impossible for them to sustain themselves may be regarded as a dependent.

Eligibility requirements for child sponsorship program

  • You and your child abroad must be accepted by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to acquire a visa in order to be eligible for this program
  • You must also demonstrate your relationship to the child you are sponsoring, either through a birth or adoption certificate.

Parent Sponsorship

It's difficult to move away from home and leave your parents on the other coast. Reuniting families in Canada is one of the goals of the Canadian government. The second highly sought-after immigration track within the family class is grandparents and parent sponsorship, which is in addition to spousal sponsorship.

The Canadian government launched a new application intake procedure for the programme for parents and grandparents in 2017 (PGP). 10,000 applications from Canadian citizens and permanent residents who want to sponsor their parents or grandparents to immigrate to Canada were chosen at random by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). In order to help potential sponsors determine their eligibility based on minimum income requirements, more questions have been added to the 2018 edition.

While a parent's immigration program might not be an option for you at this time, you may also consider temporary residence programs such as super visa and visitor visa.